I’m 13 weeks in and this was the long-awaited ‘dashboard week’. On our first day, we were supplied with the data set from the Australian Register of Charities. For today’s post, I will go over my approach and how I ended up with my current dashboard. I will focus on how I planned ahead and then how I ended up building my dashboard.

The Approach -The Plan

The very first thing I did, I had a deep look into the data set. I spent a good portion of my morning looking and understanding the dataset supplied. From my interpretation, this was a dataset that had all the types of charities that are registered in Australia in 2012. This data set comprises of charities over 20,000 and most of the columns were classification on the type of charity focus like Education, Environment and Animal Welfare. From my end, I kind of had an idea of what to do, as most of the classification data were boolean, True/False.

Next Steps – My idea

From understanding the data, I had an idea. I wanted to build a dashboard that would allow me to identify charities of interest. I wanted something that would help distinguish which charities to support. So, from reading the columns I had picked certain areas of focus that I fancied i.e Culture, Religion, Animal Welfare and so on. Likewise, I sketched out a preliminary idea and I was focused on bringing that to life.

Final Steps – The execution

Finally, after a solid planning session, I  knew what to do next. I begin by scanning the data in excel to gauge the type of cleaning needed. Afterwards, I begin my workflow in Altyerx to clean the data to a point that I was satisfied with. Finally, I import the data into tableau and I start building the dashboard bit by bit. With the initial planning that I had, I build around that idea and in the end, I was able to get the final product.

Anthony Wong
Author: Anthony Wong