After completing my Alteryx Advanced Certification last week I thought it would be a good time to note down some thoughts and tips on the exam and preparation process. I would highly encourage anyone thinking about doing it to give it a try now! I found the process rewarding and helpful in learning new skills in Alteryx, being challenged and finding solutions to those hurdles.
My tips are:
- Make sure to create some dummy starter worksheets in Alteryx before starting the exam. I just had 1 with spatial inputs, one with a few text inputs and one with some reporting tools. They save a lot of time when trying things out during the exam.
- Complete a variety of Alteryx Weekly Challenges (here)
- Read the prep pdf and video thoroughly. There was some great tips in both.
- Plan your exam timing. There are 40 – One mark questions followed by 4 – Ten mark practical questions in the exam. This means the practical questions are VITAL. Some people recommend tackling the ten mark ones first. I would just say, don’t waste any time one the one markers. It’s easy enough to review the ones that you haven’t answered at the end so just note them down and you can jump back to them after you’ve given the practical questions a good go.
- Practice, practice, practice. The main area’s covered are: Spatial, Macro’s, Reporting tools and general workflow manipulation (formula’s, dates, summary tool etc). If you know these key area’s well then you do great!
As I said at the beginning, if you’re on the fence I’d definitely recommend giving the exam a go. It’s in a great format where you learn as you go and is just like the Core Certification but with a bit more practical application and more tools. Let me know if you have any feedback or found these quick tips useful.