No client project ever progresses smoothly. Every client project will have its own set of unique complications and obstacles. Here are 5 of the most common problems and possible solutions.
1. Vague requirements:
- Ask lots of questions
- Explore the data together with the client
- Storyboard / sketch
- Create a prototype dashboard and show other samples of industry dashboards.
- Involve other relevant stakeholders.
2. Scope creep – unofficial gradual change of the original scope.
- Keep your priorities in mind
- Ask for more time and a bigger budget
- Document requirements and send them to stakeholders
3. You have overpromised and are on your way to underdeliver
- Flag it as early as possible
- Ask for help
- Identify blockers and eliminate them
4. You have no access to the data
- Ask the relevant stakeholders
- Document it in writing
- Create a dummy dataset
- Explore anything else you can do in the meantime
5. Poor engagement and communication
- Escalate to higher-level stakeholders
- Offer help / more time (consider human nature)
- Check for their availability
- Check for preferred comms channel
These problems and solutions were compiled by the DSAU11 team with the help of Natalia and David.