Alteryx currently offer 3 Alteryx Designer certifications that must be achieved in order. First is Alteryx Core certification: It covers the “core” toolset in Designer, including the top 20 most used tools and basic UI / operational elements. Second is Advanced Certification: It covers higher-level analysis and skills, including: spatial, analytic apps, macros, reporting, Gallery, advanced parsing, and complex practical application. And the third is Expert Certification: Covers all areas and facets of Designer, including the most complex analyses
If you are planning to get core certified in Alteryx and was wondering about the best way to go about it, then here are some best resources that I used for preparation. This exam is basically a test of your product knowledge. So, you should practice with Alteryx and read the documentation thoroughly.
Step 1: Download core certification exam prep guide. It contains details like exam format, curriculum, self- assessment, and practice exam.
Step 2: Check out all interactive lessons in the Academy particularly the questions at the end of the session.
Step 3: To prepare for the exam, particularly the practical questions, do the weekly challenges. This is the best way to prepare as this helps you to understand the concepts and tools in Alteryx. Try to solve the ‘Beginner’ daily challenges without assistance.
Step 4: As the Alteryx core exam is an open book one, have this open during the exam.
Some questions/topics which has asked repeatedly for all DSAU-ers on their exam are
- Questions related to shortcuts to perform many functions, including navigating the canvas and showing or hiding tools and windows.
- Have a look at the list of Alteryx file types
- Should go through the tools like Join, Union, Append, Browse, Join and Replace, Input data tool (go through the configuration and delimiter areas), Output data tool, Auto field tool, Data Cleansing, Select, Sort tool, Summarize, Text to Columns etc.
- Questions about datatypes and its ranges.
- Repeated questions related to crosstab and transpose (particularly their difference). Have a look at the example of both like the below.
Step 5: Read thoroughly the 3 point questions and if you have doubt then, do and run it in the Alteryx workflow(don’t do this for all questions as it’s very time consuming)
Step 6: Never let the failure prevent you from retrying. If you don’t pass the exam then, find out in which areas you need to improve.
Best of luck and well done for the enthusiasm for getting certified.