Finally, it’s the last day of the dashboard week!
The data we got is from the Legatum Institute, and it shows the prosperity index, which indicates how prosperity is forming and changing across the world from 2007 to 2021.
The index consists of 12 pillars of prosperity, built upon 67 actionable policy elements, and is underpinned by 300 indicators.
As we only received the dataset this morning, David has already cleaned the data for us due to our time constrain.
I filter out the year 2021 and build a relationship in tableau desktop between 2 tables to join the total index ranking table, and the table shows the breakdown of the selected four pillars.
Dashboard (Interactive Viz)
The primary purpose of this dashboard is to find whether the selected four pillars are balanced for each country. At the same time, try to discover why some pillars are not performing well.
Below are two core components of my dashboard:
- The overview (ranking top5 and bottom5) of countries’ shapes of prosperity in 2021.
- China’s personal freedom analysis includes average scores by elements and average scores and rankings over time.
- The top 5 countries in 2021 are Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Switzerland, and all the selected four pillars in these countries are very balancing.
- Even though my home country China ranks 56 in 2021 at the overall prosperity level, the personal freedom score is disproportionately low. This is mainly because the freedom of speech and access to information score is extremely low (ranks 166 out of 167), the last in Turkmenistan.
- In terms of freedom of speech and access to information elements, there is a downward trend from 2007 to 2021, and the score dropped from 14 to 9, which shows the speech environment is getting worse over time.
Excellent timeboxing, finished dashboard and the blog 1 hour before the presentation.
Things to improve:
Instead of only looking at one country, it would be even better if the elements breakdown analysis and the time trend analysis could be updated automatically based on the country/pillar we choose.